When you are looking for the best split keyboards, you will discover that there are newer models to suit all budgets, and if you do a little research, it is possible to find some fantastic bargains on great split keyboards.
When picking up the best split keyboards, consider what you are looking for. Do you need something budget-friendly, or for quality? It is also worth considering how ergonomic and comfortable the keyboard is, especially if you are planning on using it to work or gaming.
We have factored all these things in when coming up with our list of the best split keyboards. We have kept the split keyboards that can easily be found for a good deal. We invite you to read the split keyboards pros, cons, comparison, review that will help you to make the wise and right decision.
Our Quick Overview
- Best Split Keyboard for the Office: Logitech ERGO K860
- Best Split Keyboard for Gaming: Kinesis Freestyle Edge RGB
- Best Responsive Split Keyboard: Cloud Nine C989M
- Best Budget Split Keyboard: Goldtouch GTP-0044W Go! 2
- Best Customizable Split Keyboard: Koolertron SMKD62
Our editors research, and recommend the best products; you can learn more about our review process here. Glintpost earns a commission through the affiliate links at no additional cost to you.
Top 5 Split Keyboards Comparison
|Best Split Keybords||Logitech ERGO K860||Kinesis Freestyle Edge RGB||Cloud Nine C989M||Goldtouch GTP-0044||Koolertron SMK62|
|Our Rate||Best for the Office||Best for Gaming||Best Responsive||Best Budget||Best Customizable|
|Pros||High-quality material, ease wrist pain, low noise.||Well-built, attractive, versatile, and simple design, comfy wrist/palm rest, multiple mechanical and durable switches.||This sloping shape can provide natural wrist positioning.
May perform without lag and speedy or other issues.
Responsive and easy to engage keys.
Can ease wrist pain and carpal tunnel.
|Small space needed.
Will not bother people around with the noise.
Lightweight and slim design.
|You can type with responsiveness and solidness.
The quality is good.
You can customize the keys according to your preference.
|Cons||No keyboard lifts.
No numeric keypad.
Need to get used to it.
Not suitable for gaming.
Take some space to the desk.
May need some adjustment on first use.
|Need a lot of desk space and heavy.
May have difficulties adjusting.
Most of the materials are made of plastics.
|Maybe having difficulties when connecting to PC or Mac.
May not be comfortable enough.
|Require two USB ports.
May need time to get used to it.
Need to download the quick start guide.
|GTIN or UPC||097855151667||607998897515||855431007209||183238000957||886085651890|
The Best Split Keyboards Available in 2021
Best Split Keyboard for Gaming: Kinesis Freestyle Edge RGB
Overall Score: 4.6 out of 5.0 stars (674 reviews)
We rate this Kinesis Freestyle Edge as the best wired spilt keyboard. It is a great gaming and programming keyboard. The product can provide a comfortable typing experience. With long hours of gaming activity, it has backlighting for a dark environment or late at night. The nine dedicated micro keys can provide programmers to reprogram each key.
You might find it feel awkward at first. The keyboard does not have incline settings. It is compatible with Windows, macOS, and Linux, but the Pause Break key will not work on macOS.
Best Split Keyboard for the Office: Logitech ERGO K860
Overall Score: 4.7 out of 5.0 stars (4,980 reviews)
We rate this Logitech ERGO K860 as the best split keyboard for the office. It has a curved design that may reduce wrist strain and is very comfortable to type on to finish any office work. It is made of high-quality material with scissor switches, and negative angled feet.
You will not bother other office workers around you due to the low noise. It is a large size split keyboard due to its full-size design with a non-detachable wrist rest, which makes it take even more space on your desk.
Best Responsive Split Keyboard: Cloud Nine C989M
Overall Score: 4.5 out of 5.0 stars (335 reviews)
We rate this Cloud Nine C989 as the best responsive split keyboard due to the non-lag key. The design is attractive, ergonomics, and customizable if you have the desk space, budget, and a compatible fit.
The product strives to do a lot: ease carpal tunnel and wrist pain, provide a strain-free typing experience, support customizable keybindings, features anti-ghosting for gaming, features an RGB light show and one-touch macro commands. Unfortunately, with its many features, the software is not supportive enough for user gaming preferences or may not sufficient enough for long hours of gaming.
Best Budget Split Keyboard: Goldtouch GTP-0044W Go! 2
Overall Score: 4.1 out of 5.0 stars (172 reviews)
After reading many reviews, we came to the conclusion that using this Goldtouch split keyboard may help you deal with arm tension and arm strain after long hours of finishing your work. Your work style can change immediately with this Bluetooth wireless keyboard. At the time you need to go out to work, this lightweight keyboard can be transported and folded.
It is a Bluetooth split keyboard that is truly ergonomic, and well-built that has an on/off switch and light. The ball joint was very tight without needing constant re-adjustment for raising it properly after flattening out with use. The keys are responsive (no lag), work quietly, and are not mushy. The keyboard works nicely with the iPad mini, and the media keys work to control volume, iTunes, everything else.
Best Customizable Split Keyboard: Koolertron SMKD62
Overall Score: 3.8 out of 5.0 stars (53 reviews)
We rate this split keyboard as the best customizable split keyboard with nice mechanical keys. We found this split keyboard as the most affordable ergonomic keyboard or split keyboard that has the key 6 on the right side. Several other good models that we researched are way over $250, so this is our first choice and it looks and feels promising. The split feature can keep a desktop microphone in between. It matters most with telework and video meetings. We think that it is a bit noisier.
Any user does not need to fight over surface area by splitting the keyboard to be behind it or on both sides of the tablet. This split keyboard can be a great addition to any work in progress with a lot of practice and patience!
Keyboard Buying Guide
Keyboards can be used as input devices for laptops, PCs, and desktops. We use keyboards in workshops, homes, offices, and schools. Purchasing an excellent quality keyboard can make a significant difference in the efficiency of your work style.
In today’s modern technology, keyboard designs have changed significantly to give benefit the user. Mechanical and spring switches are used for keyboards. Choosing the right type of keyboard from a wide range of products can be confusing. Our guide will help what factors to consider before finalizing any split keyboard purchase.
Benefits of split keyboards
- To provide support and comfort to the wrist. While your wrists and forearms are typing, it is essential to stay comfortable. Ergonomic split keyboards are designed to give more space to work with. This will add support and reduce strain.
- To save energy and money. Split keyboards are made using the best quality and durable material. These materials will make sure the keyboard does not malfunction and stick. They should last a lifetime. You do not have to replace or repair your keyboard often. Good typing positions may lower fatigue, and reduce working hours. This is an energy and money saver.
- Speed up typing speed. Since split keyboard can help typing in a relaxed way, this will speed up typing speed. With better finger position, relaxation, and more comfort, a user can accomplish more office work in less time.
- No lagging. Split keyboards are responsive and quiet. These devices are designed to respond fast to touch.
- Easy to use. Thyese split keyboards are very simple to use and install. They are mostly compatible with Windows, Linux, Android OS, and macOS. To start using, install it and type away. Their designs are modern and very sleek that can help the office aesthetics.
Disadvantages of split keyboards
- Split keyboards cannot be customized, it is more difficult to get keycaps made for them.
- With two parts, it would be a bit awkward and tricky to place on your lap.
- You may need some time to get used to it. You may want to choose split keyboards with two pieces, that can be joined into one.
Types of split keyboards
- Contoured Keyboard: They shape like domes or waves or domes.
- Split Keyboard: They come in segments or split in the middle. Some models seperate the number pad from the main keyboard. The splitting helps with hand spacing, easy flow in typing, and comfort.
- Angled Keyboard: They are slightly inclined for proper wrist and hand positioning when typing.
What we would consider before purchasing split keyboards
1. Key layout
Many users prefer different key layout. The F keys and number keys positioning vary in different keyboards. A mac OS keyboard have options button and mac commands as addition. Windows PC keyboards have the windows and ALT keys as addition. You have to choose a key layout to your own preference that is easy to use and compatible.
There are two ways of connecting a keyboard with a PC by wireless connection, a wired USB, or Bluetooth connection. Some wireless split keyboard models lag in transmitting data. This will results in a low performance and a bad user experience. Professionals and gamers prefer USB connections for fast data transmission. There are the pros and cons of each connectivity. You need to choose wisely that fits your preferences.
3. Key switches
Selecting the right type of key switches reflect to the performance of a split keyboard. There are mechanical, silicone dome, and scissor key switches. Many affordable split keyboards come with rubber domes or silicon rubbers as a switch. These keyboads will not last long due to the repeated typing actions, and the rubber may loses its springiness. Scissor key switches are slightly better because they have an extra plunger for stability. Mechanical switches are the most durable models.